List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] KDE Events Database
From:       "B. E. Irwin" <beirwin () shaw ! ca>
Date:       2007-02-23 3:03:49

To reintroduce myself, I'm a retired librarian (as in books!) and a happy KDE
user for many years. I have tons of experiencing collecting, organizing, and
annotating Linux information.  The Linux projects I am working on include
The Linux Brochure Project (lbproject.sourceforge.net) and Loads of Linux
Links (loll.sourceforge.net). The latter project has two atom feeds: LoLL
Added Links (http://loll.sourceforge.net/linux/links/loll.atom) and Linux
News Highlights (http://loll.sourceforge.net/linux/links/highlights.atom).

Last year I volunteered to work on collecting, organizing, and annotating a
list of events of interest to KDE.  I received a lot of suggestions from
this list.  Thanks very much!

Recently I have transformed the data I had collected into xml form with a
Relax NG compact (RNC) schema (thanks to my husband, Alan, for helping with
this).  Luke Parry has kindly uploaded the tarball of my results as of last
week to http://dev.spreadkde.org/node/75. We're still sorting out details on
how I'll upload my ongoing updates to dev.spreadkde so I have attached a
tarball of my latest results to this post. The README in that tarball
explains the various files in the tarball. kde_events.xml is the fundamental
xml data that I edit and validate.  This can be easily transformed to a w3c
standards-compliant webpage date_kde_events.xhtml (also in the tarball)
using the command given in the README or by using the "make" command.

Please unpack the tarball, have a look at date_kde_events.xhtml with
konqueror, and let me know what you think.  Currently there are 40
KDE-related events that I have included.  Each one should be up-to-date as
of 2007-02-20. (Note that some events still have 2006 dates because I have
not been able to find any newer data, and it's not clear they will repeat in
2007.) For those who are interested in helping out with this project, please
suggest additional KDE-related events that I should include or updates
(including deletions if the event is no longer KDE-relevant) to the existing
events data. A patch to kde_events.xml is the preferred form of suggested
change.

Barbara

Barbara Irwin
Victoria, B.C.  Canada
On an island in the Pacific

                       The Roman Rule: The one who says it cannot be done
 		      should never interrupt the one who is doing it.
["kde_events.tar.gz" (APPLICATION/OCTET-STREAM)]