List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] SpreadKde
From:       Josef Spillner <spillner () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-02-08 19:50:09

Am Donnerstag, 8. Februar 2007 20:23 schrieb Troy Unrau:
> o approaching the dot and moving some of the intended spreadkde stuff there
> -- I'm thinking specifically of the events calendar, which would be more
> visible as a module on the dot, and probably more used too.  Many events
> are already announced on the dot, as are calls for papers and so forth, so
> it would just provide a way to see these events without having to grep
> through the old news that is possibly months old.  An upcoming events
> sidebar there, and at www.kde.org would be useful.

I think one of the earlier plans was to kill events.kde.org. However,
events.kde.org still exists :-)
What should really be done (and now the XML guy in me speaks) is to produce
parseable calendar snippets which can be included into many websites. The
issue with kde.org is that it doesn't really have any regional binding,
whereas many other sites are, which could gain visitors if they had more
accurate events information. A link to a central events site is enough.
Whether or not this is called events.kde.org or spreadkde.org is a secondary
matter.

One issue with www.kde.org is that the module is ACL'd. And one thing we've
learned from the past is that ACL'd events pages do not make *any sense*
since there are always new people contributing and sending patches is too
much of a hassle. I for one have never wanted to get myself the A in the CL,
and even though I did some smaller updates to the events calendar never have
been encouraged to just add something if I saw the need for updated
information.

> o focus the more official advocacy to www.kde.org instead, where it'll get
> more traffic, and appear more official: there already exists
> http://kde.org/trykde/, http://kde.org/whatiskde/, etc. which is very much
> in duplication of efforts for spreadkde.

Some information could be published there, but I doubt that we need all flyers
and posters (and their source files) directly on the KDE info pages.

> o if spreadkde continues to exist, repurpose the spreadkde drupal stuff
> that you're working on so that it becomes an organizational tool for
> internal use, conference planning, etc. don't try to make it a PR channel
> at all, since it'll end up exactly like the last website...

It would be very convenient to be able to plan conferences through spreadkde,
but I also think it could serve as a resource site for those who engage
actively on events or for any promotional work.

Josef