List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] In need for name of a project
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <kossebau () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-01-26 22:44:22

Am Freitag, 26. Januar 2007 22:13, schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> On Friday 26 January 2007 12:32, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > > ok.. so there would be both a framework name as well as an application
> > > name. the appname should, imho, be simple and descriptive of the
> > > purpose. frameworks can get 'funky' names but apps should remain
> > > identifiable to users if at all possible...
> >
> > Don't we have the generic name for this? ;)
>
> generic names are helpful but don't solve the problem. to disambiguate
> between "address books" people use the name of the application. if you look
> at some platforms, the names are pretty straightforward and obvious (at
> least once you hear what they do; windows and mac os both fall into this
> category) while on others they don't (e.g. gnome and to a lesser extent
> kde). i get a lot of feedback from people that they really don't like the
> overly abstract application names because it makes it too hard to remember
> what is what or to communicate effectively with others.

So Ubuntu, SUSE, RedHat, Gentoo, Mandrake really hurt? I don't think the
identifying name must be too close in semantics.

> kimdaba used to be a favourite example of mine, but they fixed that: now
> it's kphotoalbum. much better.

But claims a pretty general term. How to name another one? KPhotoalbum 2?

> look at gnomemeeting which is now ekiga for an example in the reverse
> direction.

GnomeMeeting only worked for those who know MS NetMeeting, or?

> > > would this framework possibly replace KABC (possibly consuming KABC as
> > > an internal component for vcard reading?) as the preferred system for
> > > contacts storage and retrieval?
> >
> > More or less, yes.
>
> ah, definitive answers ;)

Difficult area, don't want to outplay Tobias...

Friedrich