List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] In need for name of a project
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <kossebau () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-01-26 12:06:44

Am Freitag, 26. Januar 2007 02:30, schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> On Thursday 25 January 2007 12:15, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > The project is about modelling persons and groups/projects. Or "about the
> > things you know about people and their extended virtual personas.", like
> > de
>
> gah, sorry for two emails. i totally forgot about my second question. mea
> culpa.
>
> is this framework intended to be used broadly/widely throughout KDE, is it
> aimed only (primarily?) at PIM apps or is it designed to be used in a
> single application rather than linked to as a library? (this is analogous,
> i suppose, to asking if it will end up in kdelibs, kdepimlibs, kdepim or
> ...?)

Short target kdepimlibs, long target kdelibs. Why? Because there is a list of
users and groups, that I want to integrate, the users and groups of the
computer system. So developers of programs like a file manager,

> will there also be an application provided that needs a name as well? e.g.
> the next evolution of kaddressbook?

Yes, there need to be some programs/modules that allow the editing/browsing of
the data. There would be a standalone program, an ioslave(?)/kpart
combination or something else.

> also, is this going to be compatible with less interesting implementations
> that use only vCard (e.g. the rest of the world), or is it its own little
> world? (in the latter case the name probably needs to stay away from
> certain words)

I guess being vCard compatible is needed very much. The experimental code I
did so far is build on simply using the KABC interface, so it might be
possible to express the model in vcard terms. At least I am optimistic. Sure,
there will be data loss when exporting to the vCard-only world. And importing
from plain vCard might need some manual help. It's the same problem we have
with file meta data. But otherwise we are stuck with what we have. I want to
try.

Friedrich