List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] In need for name of a project
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <kossebau () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-01-26 12:06:44

Am Freitag, 26. Januar 2007 02:30, schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> On Thursday 25 January 2007 12:15, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > The project is about modelling persons and groups/projects. Or "about \
> > the things you know about people and their extended virtual personas.", \
> > like de
>
> gah, sorry for two emails. i totally forgot about my second question. mea
> culpa.
>
> is this framework intended to be used broadly/widely throughout KDE, is \
> it aimed only (primarily?) at PIM apps or is it designed to be used in a
> single application rather than linked to as a library? (this is \
> analogous, i suppose, to asking if it will end up in kdelibs, kdepimlibs, \
>                 kdepim or
> ...?)

Short target kdepimlibs, long target kdelibs. Why? Because there is a list \
of  users and groups, that I want to integrate, the users and groups of the \
 computer system. So developers of programs like a file manager,

> will there also be an application provided that needs a name as well? \
> e.g. the next evolution of kaddressbook?

Yes, there need to be some programs/modules that allow the editing/browsing \
of  the data. There would be a standalone program, an ioslave(?)/kpart
combination or something else.

> also, is this going to be compatible with less interesting \
> implementations that use only vCard (e.g. the rest of the world), or is \
> it its own little world? (in the latter case the name probably needs to \
> stay away from certain words)

I guess being vCard compatible is needed very much. The experimental code I \
 did so far is build on simply using the KABC interface, so it might be
possible to express the model in vcard terms. At least I am optimistic. \
Sure,  there will be data loss when exporting to the vCard-only world. And \
importing  from plain vCard might need some manual help. It's the same \
problem we have  with file meta data. But otherwise we are stuck with what \
we have. I want to  try.

Friedrich