List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Birmingham City Council on GNOME and KDE
From:       Tom Chance <tom () acrewoods ! net>
Date:       2006-11-30 21:50:44

Ahoy,

On Thursday 30 November 2006 21:30, Jure Repinc wrote:
> While reading an article: Birmingham City Council claims open-source
> success http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?newsID=7459

Interesting, thanks for pointing this out!

> I came across this interesting paragraph (under Frustrations section)
> that mentions GNOME and KDE usability:
>
> "The case study also detailed the many frustrations involved in
> approaching an unfamiliar desktop technology, including the discovery
> that key applications wouldn't run on Linux and usability problems with
> the original Gnome interface. At one point, realising that most of the
> usability issues were attributable to Gnome, which had taken three
> months to configure, staff ripped out Gnome and replaced it with KDE.
> The new interface was up and running within a week."

Although they also point out that it's not just KDE's design that made the
replacement so quick:

"Following a number of interoperability issues raised during the pilot (see
Section 6.2), BCC decided to replace their chosen desktop manager,
GNOME, with KDE. Having spent three months developing the SUSE 9.3
configuration with GNOME, the technical team was able to undertake the
same work with KDE in less than a week. This demonstrates a substantial
gain in skills."

It'd be nice if someone could write up an article about this, or even better
get an interview with someone reasonably high up in the Council. The 67 page
PDF has lots of interesting details that demonstrate the strength of our
platform, with a useful four-part framework for evaluating free software
(technical, management, cultural and financial) that links up somewhat with
our freedom messaging ideas.

Regards,
Tom

--
The struggle against power is the struggle of memory against forgetting
 - Kundera