List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] kross in kdelibs
From:       Sebastian Sauer <mail () dipe ! org>
Date:       2006-11-28 23:50:15

Maybe that could be used for KDE4-marketing somehow (yet or for the
final-release or for whatever else)?! Anyway. Since I guess its maybe
relevant for PR-related tasks;

The case;
* Kross is the scripting framework that was shipped with KOffice 1.5.x and
1.6.x.
* It provides transparent access to embed Python, Ruby and KDE Javascript into
KDE-applications. While kdelibs4 already ships with kjs+kjsembed - the
default scripting-backend - to provide Javascript support, Kross extends this
with the possibility to optional also use Python, Ruby or any other backend
that is supported (a plugin was written for).
* Kross was moved to kdelibs (trunk) yesterday.

Some brainstorming;
* KDE offers once more the most flexible solution to optional integrate
whatever scripting-language the user likes to use. Afaik other
desktops/projects (better mention project cause KDE is more then the
desktop ;) don't ship with such a flexible solution to extend applications
(needs to be checked + verified before).
* we don't introduce any dependencies since everything is optional
* the freedom to choose / we don't limit our users
* interoperable
* don't use "Kross" in association with that feature since imho it's a bad
name and unrelated anyway. It's a KDE-feature.
* It comes from KOffice (so, shared code + workflow between independend teams
within the KDE-project)
* 2 man-years where needed to implement it (things are ready if they are ready
== very good quality of the KDE-sourcecode cause we don't depend on the
timeframes of large companies so we only need to take care of our users and
are able to concentrate on the quality of code - ok, may sound a bit negativ
to mention here indirect that we don't care on companies / don't look at the
enterprise-market...)
* since so far only KOffice used it for marketing, it may a fresh topic to
associate it with the whole KDE-project. So, propably a way to outline that
new great stuff comes into KDE4 on a daily base without much pre-marketing.
* the last bigger PR related to scripting I still remember was something
like "plasma with apple-like dashboard-support using KDE javascript". I guess
while it was a nice idea it misses completly, that scripting isn't only a
task related to the KDE-desktop rather then to the whole KDE-project since
with kjs+kjsembed (maybe mention webcore - reusing by e.g. apple+nokia+etc.
here also) ALL KDE-applications are able to be easily extended with scripts.
Think here of the kind of marketing Firefox did with it's "extensions" but
KDE is not limited to an own XUL-environment. KDE supports pure, well proven
and widly used standards like javascript, python, ruby, ... (propably also
mention Java since to write a kross-backend for Java is a very high priority
currently, but maybe that could not be done in shape for KDE4. Shouldn't be a
prob since we wait for SUN to open there sources anyway).
* Maybe even mention that other projects like gnome (sorry, not meaned as
bashing) went another direction and just made there core depend on Mono while
we are theoretical able to also provide Mono-support without any dependencies
=> small+slim+fast+optional+etc. Maybe also mention here the great work done
on Mono-Qt-bindings by Richard Dale and Arno Rehn? In any case talk with them
before since they are our Mono-profis :) btw, in that context I wonder at all
that the work done on C#/Mono bindings for KDE was mention at aKademy while I
was not able to read any note about it somewhere else, but that's another
issue.
* etc.

Additional details at http://kross.dipe.org
If there are any questions mail me or visit me at the #koffice irc-channel
(nickname dipesh).

--
Sebastian Sauer aka dipesh[sebsauer]
http://www.dipe.org/public_key.asc