List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] [8/8] Future of the Marketing Working Group
From:       Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab () web ! de>
Date:       2006-11-21 22:29:31

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am Dienstag 21 November 2006 19:54 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> > A simple thing like a sentence: "For News, please have a look at the
> > Blogs of our developers" could help a lot. If those Blogs did contain
> > infos about Solid... which they don't.
>
> that's a good idea ... i'll pass it around if you don't beat me to it.

I don't have a stick handy ;)
(and wouldn't use it anyway :))

> > Maybe we could form a "marketing core element supporting group" or
> > similar, which keeps core elements of our strategy alive and takes over,
> > if it should become necessary.
>
> could kde-promo be the place people interested in being this to organize
> and coordinate?
>
> what, in your mind, would this "core element" group do specifically?

Firstoff (how I see it): Core elements are those, which seem the most
important for the plans which are shaped.

For example those KDE4 pages.

Also release notes.

But most of all, they are what emerges from a marketing strategy.

We decide to target specific users and someone creates a great resource for
them? The core elements group should now check back into that resource and
support it, as long as that resource is central to the current marketing
strategy.

If we know we desperately need to keep the wheel rolling in some area, then
that group makes sure it will roll on, but only if it is needed.

As soon as the area becomes more of a side-issue, the core elements group
moves on to the next central things.

I can't assure, that this will work, since I don't have enough experience to
draw upon, but I think it might create some powerful dynamics, especially as
the members of the group coordinate themselves better and better.

If some area becomes central, the core group ensures that it will get the
momentum needed.

A danger I see, is that the group could jump in too early and sabotage group
processes of those who began getting momentum in a critical area, so the time
for action would need to be carefully checked.

Needed for that is also, to clearly define exactly one area at a time for
action, so the group can have maximum effect.

Also the members of the group should take care to create structures, which can
easily be managed by others: leave templates and other help and make
themselves unnecessary in that area as quickly as they can.

If a project should be the centerpoint of attention, then they could act there
and also create templates which can be easily used by the ones who are
already there and will keep the specific project running after the core
elements group has moved on.

And before any action is taken, I thinkg it's most important to ask politely,
if those who do the project really want support, and where, so as to avoid
intruding. But some devs might be quite happy if someone drops by and
says "Hi, I'm from the KDE core elements group, and we think that your
project has a great potential, but it isn't visible enough, yet. May we join
in for some time, to get you some more public recognition?"

I think KDE Promo could be a good place to organize the efforts, but I don't
know if it would be the perfect place to discuss the actual actions, but it
might also be the place. Depends on the question, if the "noise" from
discussion the actual actions will bother members who want to discuss general
promo matters.

Are there other ones but me, who'd also like to go that way?

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein