List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] [8/8] Future of the Marketing Working Group
From:       Daniel Dotsenko <dd () accentsolution ! com>
Date:       2006-11-21 9:03:27

On Monday 20 November 2006 23:02, Tom Chance wrote:
> Ahoy,
>
> On Tuesday 21 November 2006 06:40, Danil Dotsenko wrote:
> > I, personally, don't see enough users' representation on the marketing
> > group.
>
> With reference to the MWG charter, or some other goals you have in mind,
> could you explain why? I'm interested, but I'm not sure why it's necessary
> for this particular working group.

There are 2 things that come out of the marketing groups: definitions of focus
and statements of message; usually in that order.

Long:
KDE exists for many purposes, of which one is "to be used". When people from
the "the place to congregate and create" purpose side get together they
produce statements like this on their annual retreats: "We do not
include 'your aunt Vilma' into a circle of our potential users." It sounds
very sane to developers, but rather stupid to aunt Vilma in all of us. How
difficult is it to for a powerfull desktop to provide email, webbrowsing,
picture viewing and solitare? The other things aunt VIlma would demand
(drivers for wireless card, suspend, bluetooth support) are actually not
KDE's issues. Who was doing the sanity check at that meeting?
Mare presence of other interested parties will at least, make the
temporary-at-the-wheel think wider.

Short:
I personally witnessed on this Promo list MWG member(s) demonstrating
single-mindedness and trying to stifle diversity in the KDE's message and
applicability for no good reason, but to give orders. Closer oversight
from "stakeholders" would ensure vital openness and would constantly remind
the other parties that they are sharing the ride with other passengers. >
wider / better focus = less chance for lopsided / exclusionary message.