List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] [6/8] Distribution Channels
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-11-21 4:58:13

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 20 November 2006 21:41, Joseph M. Gaffney wrote:
> they know it.  I can't say I understood why SLED was based around GNOME - I
> know they bought Ximian, so on, but why they went in that direction isn't
> clear to me.

internal politics. they put miguel de icaza and nat friedman in important
executive roles with oversight with regards to desktop decisions. then they
bought suse. the shift in emphasis was quite unavoidable as long at miguel
and nat were making the decisions. simple as that =)

> You could be right that is is the aftermath of better marketing -

no, i think the marketing has convinced people gtk+ and gnome is more popular
with distros and ISVs. reality is that it isn't.

> Well maybe the key isn't to turn them around - but to make sure the new
> distros to the market, as well as the older ones, look towards KDE.  Maybe

agreed.

> it would be good to speak with Patrick Volkerding about his decision to put
> KDE to the forefront.

he already did a few interviews on the topic back when he dumped gnome from
the default install. google for it perhaps?

> If theres one thing thats true with Linux,
> distributions fall in and out of favor, and new ones (such as ubuntu & its
> offspring) pop up and do something new and exciting.

yep

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se