List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] [1/8] Target Groups
From:       "Joseph M. Gaffney" <cucullin () wtfisthat ! net>
Date:       2006-11-20 23:57:02

On Monday 20 November 2006 04:43, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> Keyquestion
> ------------
> What definition and division of target groups will we use for KDE4
> branding?
>
> What are important characteristics of those target groups?
> How do we need to define KDE as a product suitable for those groups?

As I see it, I would think it easiest to segment by the following (with some
overlap)

*Corporate - Project management, Kiosk, KOffice, KPilot/Kitchensync, upcoming
ATC/VTC products, etc.
*Small/Medium Business - Similar to corporate, but with a focus on cost, ease
in developing custom applications tailored to their specific business (I've
generally found small businesses to be extremely focused in one area)
*Home User
  -  Basic - Email, Web, Etc.
  -  Multimedia Focus (content creation)
  -  Specialty (focus on atypically used apps, like Kile, KDissert (which is
one of my favorite apps ever), KSimus, so on)
Kids (Edu)
Zealot - the open source advocate, additional focus on freedom, GPL,
Trolltech's licensing, being cross platform, etc.

I won't be there, so thats why I'm responding here - food for thought.  More
to come :)

-Joseph M. Gaffney