List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE4 under MacOsX and Windows
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-11-10 13:45:26

On Friday 10 November 2006 14:32, David Faure wrote:
> On Fri Nov 10 2006, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> > On Friday 10 November 2006 13:58, Laurent Montel wrote:
> > > I don't know how to create package for windows/MacOs :(
> >
> > For Windows there's at least the solution that's commonly used by
> > sysadmins to deploy software within a company:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257718
> >
> > There are a few other free and/or open source tools, but I have no
> > experience with them:
> >
> > http://dennisbareis.com/makemsi.htm
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/msi2xml/
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/wix/
>
> We chose http://nsis.sourceforge.net/ at kdab since it's apparently much
> nicer, but all this is for creating proper installers... I wonder if it
> wouldn't be enough to just distribute a zip with all dlls and exe in it for
> now?

That's why I mentioned WinInstall LE first - it takes a 'before' and 'after'
installation snapshot of your system so it helps figuring out which files and
registry entries have changed during the process.

In the end the resulting .msi file is little more than a .zip file that can
relocate files with other %windir% and can add registry keys.

If KDE4/win is relocatable to other directories, does not install files
outside its own dir (not even to windows\system32) and doesn't touch the
registry -- I don't know -- then yeah, just go with .zip.

--
Martijn

Willpower is the ability to eat one salted peanut.