List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] short report from Linux-Info-Tag in Dresden
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-10-10 19:08:55

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 10 October 2006 12:24, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 10. Oktober 2006 18:02, schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> > >
> > > I felt that people know all about KOffice: interesting project,
> > > wonderful future, but not for heavy usage today.
> > >
> > > Better Kiosk tools were requested.
> >
> > details?
>
> Forgot the details, but something along a nice GUI, including searching,
> browsing, copying, version system & more for all the config options, simply
> a perfect GUI tool ;) And also parts of what you have with GNOME's Sabayon.

Sabayon's nicest parts are fatally flawed. the "do it in an xnest window" has
real issues on thin client systems, as was demonstrated to me (and a room
full of people) a few months ago at an ubuntu conference. everything else
works nicer in kiosktool, but kiosktool's UI is indeed .... wanting.

> > > KDE-Apps.org is known, but there
> > > are too much choices and no concrete recommendations. We need more
> > > simple 3rd party success stories for these apps, and these should be
> > > prominently linked.
> >
> > a "app recomendations" site? e.g. that lists categories and then the
> > application for that category that is recommended, with a screenshot,
> > short description and a couple of links? in other words, something more
> > centralized and edited versus the community bazaar that kde-apps.org is?
>
> No, more of the type: "Cool, I solved this and that problem with it.",
> showing that it works. "Really works", not only "Should work" (as it was
> e.g. with KOffice mostly, sorry). Real life tutorials. Tutorial wiki. User
> maintained docs. Or something. Things you find with Google and get
> impressed, seeing a solution for your problem. 3rd party KDE apps like
> KNoda here should get (inofficially) helped with promotion, too.

ah, so a task-oriented set of howtos? (trying to understand better here =)

> New tutorials could be in a monthly KDE journal... just thinking aloud.

would this work well with Daniel's thoughts on "example workflows"?

> > then we're left with having to keep the computer updated, people at the
> > booth not being familiar with how it is set up, etc... it's probably much
> > easier for people to demo things on their own machines as long as this is
> > a volunteer based thing (which i hope it will always be, at least to some
> > extent)
>
> True, too. Real usage examples and a system one knows. If one has not too
> many sensibel data this should work.
> But then I think in a perfect world we should work on demo data and
> accounts, also for documenting and testing.

the two things aren't orthogonal. we can have the demo data/accounts and have
people bring their own systems. i'd be fine with a booth-box mini-system -if-
we can find someone(s) who will maintain it. that would mean regular access
to the booth box or accessing it via the internet.

--
Aaron J. Seigo