List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] short report from Linux-Info-Tag in Dresden
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <friedrich.w.h () kossebau ! de>
Date:       2006-10-10 18:24:02

Am Dienstag, 10. Oktober 2006 18:02, schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> On Tuesday 10 October 2006 4:02, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 10. Oktober 2006 01:23, schrieb Alexander Neundorf:
> > > There were not too many questions about Kontact/Kolab and Koffice,
> > > which I would have expected.
> >
> > I felt that people know all about KOffice: interesting project, wonderful
> > future, but not for heavy usage today.
> >
> > Better Kiosk tools were requested.
>
> details?

Forgot the details, but something along a nice GUI, including searching,
browsing, copying, version system & more for all the config options, simply a
perfect GUI tool ;) And also parts of what you have with GNOME's Sabayon.

> > KDE-Apps.org is known, but there
> > are too much choices and no concrete recommendations. We need more simple
> > 3rd party success stories for these apps, and these should be prominently
> > linked.
>
> a "app recomendations" site? e.g. that lists categories and then the
> application for that category that is recommended, with a screenshot, short
> description and a couple of links? in other words, something more
> centralized and edited versus the community bazaar that kde-apps.org is?

No, more of the type: "Cool, I solved this and that problem with it.", showing
that it works. "Really works", not only "Should work" (as it was e.g. with
KOffice mostly, sorry). Real life tutorials. Tutorial wiki. User maintained
docs. Or something. Things you find with Google and get impressed, seeing a
solution for your problem. 3rd party KDE apps like KNoda here should get
(inofficially) helped with promotion, too.

New tutorials could be in a monthly KDE journal... just thinking aloud.

> > > There were several complete Linux newbies, which we could demo a
> > > working system, put emphasize on ODF, safety against viruses and worms
> > > etc.
> >
> > No idea, if it makes sense to explain to them what KDE is at all. Perhaps
> > a simple diagram which shows the principle software stack would help
> > here.
>
> i don't think most people care about software stacks =) usually those that
> do are programmers and integrators (and occasionally the middle management
> wonks =). showing benefits and attaching those benefits, even implicitly,
> to the KDE brand is a winning approach.

"And what is the difference between Ubuntu and Kubuntu? What is KDE?" ;)

> > > They made a good
> > > impression to our visitors, one even said "two such nice computers !",
> > > probably because basically only the silver TFTs with the black
> > > keyboards and mice were visible, the notebooks were closed and pushed
> > > to the background.
> >
> > Given that some laptops have problems with the external video output
> > perhaps it could make sense to add also a small computer (Shuttle or
> > similar) to the box.
>
> then we're left with having to keep the computer updated, people at the
> booth not being familiar with how it is set up, etc... it's probably much
> easier for people to demo things on their own machines as long as this is a
> volunteer based thing (which i hope it will always be, at least to some
> extent)

True, too. Real usage examples and a system one knows. If one has not too many
sensibel data this should work.
But then I think in a perfect world we should work on demo data and accounts,
also for documenting and testing.

> > for now let's see how the laptop approach works for others.
>
> agreed. perhaps putting some xorg.conf fragments in the boothbox might help
> those who run into problems? could you pull out the relevant bits from your
> xorg.conf solution so we could pop those in the box?

Sorry, I have none done for this screen. Was another system and another
computer where I did this once. And two years ago. Seems it's still needed.

> does the box have a binder in it? if not, we should get one, throw a dozen
> or so tabs in it and start putting notes, guides, etc in it. probably these
> guides should be authored on sk.o, but having a hard copy would be an
> ass-saver at times. this would also be the place for the merchandise forms.

Good idea. Tackat? :)

Friedrich