List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] short report from Linux-Info-Tag in Dresden
From:       Danil Dotsenko <dd () accentsolution ! com>
Date:       2006-10-10 16:50:12

On Tuesday 10 October 2006 09:02, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 October 2006 4:02, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> i agree that both messages are true. let's harmonize them into one coherent
> message. perhaps even keep a "FAQ" in the boothbox that gets updated
> periodically?
>
> so... the message:
>
> KDE4 is aimed for 2007, and pre-releases (alphas, betas) will precede that
> release. Our focus is releasing it when it is in good shape and will
> provide the user experience we are aiming for. In the meantime, KDE3 is a
> terrific desktop that serves the needs of people very well. New releases of
> KDE 3.5 have been appearing steadily. If you'd like to help with KDE4,
> please don't hesitate to join the team and help us work on what needs to be
> done.

What is missing in that statement is expressed wilingness to maintain /
continue to contribute to the "stable" KDE 3 tree. KDE 3 line will rightfully
linger for a long time in "stable" distros, given there is an appearance of
active maintenance.
I fear, without vocal expression of planned support, KDE may suffer the same
thing ReiserFS suffered, where old line is EOL'ed and the new line is not
ready yet. End result, no one wants to use either.

I suggest to alter the last line to something of this tune:
If you'd like to help with REALIZATION OF KDE4, OR FURTHER STABILIZATION OF
KDE3, please don't hesitate to join the team and help us work on what needs
to be done.

> > KDE-Apps.org is known, but there
> > are too much choices and no concrete recommendations. We need more simple
> > 3rd party success stories for these apps, and these should be prominently
> > linked.
>
> a "app recomendations" site? e.g. that lists categories and then the
> application for that category that is recommended, with a screenshot, short
> description and a couple of links? in other words, something more
> centralized and edited versus the community bazaar that kde-apps.org is?
>
> (i personally think those two approaches are complimentary rather than at
> odds with each other. each category in the "one app" site could have a link
> to the category of applications at kde-apps.org even)

I sent an email to kde-apps/look suggesting that a new
category "Recommendations" will be added to the actual software categories
list.

This way, instead of posting code snippets, we just post lists of preferred /
suggested software. Since postings already have rating system built in, users
can vote on the usefullness of the recommendations. Sorting by that category,
than by ranking, would give anyone a simple, "democratic" software
recommendation system.
I hope some one with "mojo" will talk kde-apps/look ppl into it.

In parallel to that, "example workflow" guides are a project of mine, which I
am planning to push into wiki.kde.org, pending Lukash Masek's solution to
linking to images uploaded to the same page.

Danil Dotsenko