List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Music for events?
From:       Josef Spillner <spillner () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-09-15 8:43:12

Alle 23:31, giovedì, 14. settembre 2006, Tom Chance ha scritto:
> > Or is playing this kind of music still subject to giving money to
> > performance rights organizations like "GEMA"?
>
> With music released under any of the Creative Commons licenses, so long as
> you're not making any money in any way from playing the music (a problem
> with NonCommercial licenses), you're fine.

This is exactly why we're planning a music box booth for the upcoming
Linux-Info-Tag. People are allowed to "refuel" their Ogg folders via USB
sticks and network access (streaming and HTTP downloads) at one booth. The
hard part will be the writing, so that it kind of sounds like provocative
while it remains legal (keeping playlists etc). (*)
There's already more free music out there than we can play during the day so
that's certainly a good sign of progress.

There will also be movable walls by the wikipedia folks and other
informational posters referring to non-software freedom. I think this is an
important aspect of such events, and KDE applications should promote free
data and free services.

Josef

(*) In an ideal world, GEMA would have to prove that we're using non-free
music. But in the real world, one must be prepared for the opposite.