List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] How Gnome announces a .z release (was: "KDE 3.5.4
From:       Tom Chance <tom () acrewoods ! net>
Date:       2006-08-03 13:52:50

Ahoy,

On Thursday 03 August 2006 14:32, Carsten Niehaus wrote:
> Just to compare how Gnome is announcing a .z release: Today they announced
> 2.14.3. The announcement is a very plain text send to a mailinglist:

It's funny how low profile those are. I admit that until recently I wasn't
even aware of the minor releases! :o)

> The only thing Gnome does better in terms of advertising a release is this
> page:
>
> http://www.gnome.org/start/2.14/notes/en/

Agreed, in some respects their release notes are *much* nicer than ours. We've
made some progress here, I think. The visual guide to features for 3.5 came
out as part of the main promotional package (before something like that would
sometimes appear weeks afterwards). Thanks in large part to Albert Astals Cid
we're getting more translations done, and for the first time 3.5.4 had some
of them linked directly from the kde.org release notes page.

Where we could improve, picking up on your points:
* More translations done on time and linked on the English page
* Either tidy up the local web sites, or keep all the translations under
kde.org, because currently some pages are quite messy and fail lots of
accessibility requirements [1]
* Some pretty pictures for minor releases, e.g. new feature screenshots even
if just to show off the app when the change is barely noticeable, and graphs
depicting speed improvements
* Videos of new features as well as still images
* Better coordination of press release distribution, i.e. between me (I send
the English version to journalists and press wires), people who submit it to
web sites, and local teams who may also send their translated release out to
journalists who speak their language

With perhaps a couple more minor releases on the way (?) before KDE 4, we
should have some more time to improve things. Thanks to everyone for their
hard work this time round, and sorry for confusing the tag & release
dates! :)

Regards,
Tom

[1] http://accessibility.kde.org/reports/websites.php

--
The task of critique is not to denounce the ideals, but to show their
transformation into ideologies, and to challenge the ideology in the