List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Link to kdewebdev.org
From:       Adriaan de Groot <groot () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-06-24 22:43:53

On Saturday 24 June 2006 17:30, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Saturday 24 June 2006 15:23, Mr Bulldog wrote:
> > Even though I shouldn't say much about this isssue. It is yet again,
> > another link to add to the already hyperlink ' bloated' KDE homepage. I
> > did a hasty count and found in the region of 60 hyperlinks on the left
> > and right column of the KDE homepage. This result didn't include the
> > actual main content in the central column.

Let me rephrase my previous reply to this message: any change to the
organization at the top-level cascades through the site and leads to huge
numbers of changes. Since we don't have much of an idea who the site is
*for*, it's hard to make it useful for anyone. Some sites like
developer.kde.org or pim.kde.org have a much more focused and clear \
audience  and those are easier to organize as well.

There's sporadic efforts to figure out who the site is for. They tend to \
get  bogged down.

Anyway, as an exercise you might try to figure out what needs to be done \
with  the link "Getting involved". Front page material? Perhaps it should \
go  straight to quality.kde.org? If so, what about "Open Jobs" -- are they
maintained? Any other information it presents that should be on q.k.o? Is \
the  lxr link useful (assuming it works -- lxr.k.o times out for me right \
now).

For what it's worth, http://kde.englishbreakfastnetwork.org/ is a web \
mirror  of the KDE site. It uses Marcos Fources' media-renew branch to put \
a modern  CSS-based site with the same content up. That same site can be \
used for  various bits of experimentation. In the past we've had some \
limited success  with trying to do reorganizations in a branch and merging \
constantly; that  was to get a new look mostly. We could do the same here.

--
KDE Quality Team
GPG: FEA2 A3FE