List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Take a look at Linux1.no
From:       "Mr Bulldog" <bulldogsay () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-06-16 23:17:53

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

It was apparent what you was talking about, that's okay.

Looking at it in more detail, does the common person have a clue what this
means? "Microsoft's MFC/COM/ActiveX technology." maybe activex  and
microsoft, but come on how is this friendly to 'newbies to linux'?

The key to consider is the different groups of people for displaying the
information, you mentioned it one of your earlier emails Aaron. I can get it
across to beginners, not the more experienced users or buisnesses, who
require that intricate detail, displayed already.

I know you'll be saying sort out this problem, never mind mentioning it, but
I just don't see the idea of comments (http://kde.org/whatiskde/comments.php)
my idea would be getting people new to KDE, large buisnesses or
organisations who activly use KDE and other groups.

--
I'll get to the point, I'll do my best and sort out a page that gives an
introduction for beginners on a numerous topics, describing the features and

However on this page it describes the KDE distribution - (
http://kde.org/whatiskde/project.php#distribution)  talking about it as a
whole. Should information be provided on basic set of important
applications, i.e. amarok for music, koffice for office or possibly kontact
for Personal Stuff *emails. Other than this
What topics in your opinion would be the average computer be intrested in?

Here's of things I can think of now:

Usability and Configuration
-->Information on Menu's
-->Interpolarity with Unix Systems (Configuration / Security)
Working with photo's, music, movies other media like pdf
Applications - Konqueror for web browsing, Amarok for music playback
Amount of KDE / Qt Applications available - Choice / Freedom
Accessibility issues
The Brilliant KDE Communtiy, Support

An evil site, I know, but this is a good example of what I mean, it caters
for everyone on vista, but not webstandards!

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/features/default.mspx

i was actually referring to:

"Also I propose making the page,
http://kde.org/whatiskde/ much shorter, it is too much to read for the
casual person or just give some of the key concepts of KDE, similar to
http://www.koffice.org/tours/1.5/. Not using screenshots maybe icons,
but brief for newer users. This would help introduce KDE efficiently.
Hope these ideas are useful -> I don't think the kde web team even
noticed as usual."