List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Take a look at Linux1.no
From:       Birger Kollstrand <birger.kollstrand () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2006-06-15 21:52:34

Torsdag 15 juni 2006 22:20, skrev Aaron J. Seigo:
> On Thursday 15 June 2006 16:01, Birger Kollstrand wrote:
> > Linux1.no is a small but leading Linux site in Norway. Take a look at the
> > graphs on the left side of the page.
>
> do you have an idea what the readership demographics are?
This is one of the most active Linux sites in Norway (proabably THE most
active)

The "poll" is done by users setting in their profile what is their default
distro and desktop environment.

> > Among the users there is an overweight of Gnome and a LARGE proportion of
> > the users are on (K)Ubuntu!
>
> hrm. more *buntu users than all the others put together. that says a lot,
> since the real world linux desktop market penetration of *buntu isn't
> anywhere near that right now. looks like the community around / associated
> with linux1.no (or at least those that cared to vote) has a particular
> profile, which isn't very odd given how tight-knit communities tend to
> flock together. i'm doubtful that this useful data for general purpose
> extrapolation, however.
If there is an interest then I can ask the moderator what percenage is Kubuntu
and what is Ubuntu.

> what were your thoughts / hopes when posting it to this list? as an
> informational tidbit or were you looking for something more concrete?
It's mostly ment as information, we often see polls where people vote and then
KDE comes out good. This is based upon their profiles and is maybe more
accurat than a poll.

I think it also highligts that KDE needs to be active in these arenas also.
There are regularly new users comming to this site asking for advise and with
most of the users going Gnome... That is not good for KDE.

Is there a god "10 points" to convince a new user to choose KDE when they want
to try Linux? It seems like may stick with their first choice.

regards birger....