List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Project naming
From:       Stefan Nikolaus <stefan.nikolaus () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2006-06-06 16:01:56

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 06 June 2006 17:33, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 June 2006 17:04, Stefan Nikolaus wrote:
> > Or "Kommutator". I'm not aware of the english noun for this
> > (commutator?). The mathematical operator, which switches between
> > canonical variables (position<->momentum; energy<->time). Obviously, it
> > also fulfills the 'K'-ification. ;-)
>
> As you may have noticed we're actually moving away from the geeky K-names.
> Take Phonon, Oxygen, Solid and Plasma for example :)

Yip, noticed that. My proposals "Affinity", "Gluon" pointed in that direction
and "Kommutator", or at least "Commutator", also has a scientific background.

> Apart from that I can't think of a catchy name for XPath/XSLT at the
> moment. If it were just XSLT we could have used Transformer, but that
> doesn't cover XPath.

Affinity is my favorite as it also means similarity, which I connect to
transformations, electron affinity "transforms" atoms to molecules
and "navigates" electrons (in some sense).
Gluons, the quasi particles representing the strong interaction, do the same
one level downwards. They drive quarks to become bosons, IIRC. The strong
interaction is the one with the highest energy, the most powerful. And that's
what's the XPath/XSLT/XQuery thingie is about: elementary but powerful.

Just my two cents,
Stefan