List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] suggestions for next release process:
From:       Danil Dotsenko <dd () accentsolution ! com>
Date:       2006-06-01 18:35:08

Thursday 01 June 2006 10:57 Tom Chance wrote:
> Ahoy,
>
> On Thursday 01 June 2006 18:36, Danil Dotsenko wrote:
> > 2 month warning is pretty much useless as a warning. No fixed bugs yet,
> > no idea what the freshly baked release is all about. We need to figure
> > out how to have a 7-5 day warning of already assured release.
>
> To be fair there was ample warning and enough people on this list knew
> about the date or at least where to find it, Carsten Niehaus prepared a
> changelog well in advance and we even discussed the key messages with a
> week or so to go. Yet Sebas was left pleading for somebody to finish stuff
> with little or no response until it was too late.

Is my English really that bad? Again, 3.5.3 release job was a rush job for 2
reasons:
1. People who KNEW what the actual release date is were very busy and could
not help much. (end of May - exams, work, all hell brakes loose)
2. Situation No1 left the job of release notes on those who had some time (ppl
like me) but have no clue against what deadline I am working.

"Vague warnings of impending release" are nowhere as useful as "release date
dead-line" If you give me a good, solid 5-7 day warning and a fuzzy (+/- 2)
release date - chumps like me can save you from writing that midnight rush
job you concocted.

When Sebas is pleading - it means its already too late to start the process in
a normal organized way.

So let me restated the problem is simple, ultimatum-like terms:
- There is real, unambiguous "impending release in one week" advance
announcement here on kde-promo -> there will be structured, organized help
from non-programmer chumps like me.
- There is NO real, unambiguous "impending release in one week" advance
announcement here on kde-promo -> sebas will be pleading, you will be writing
it alone, at 1 at night, watching ftp populated with fresh packages.

> What we need is somebody to be responsible for making sure the release
> notes and press release go out on time. That person should also have the
> authority to say "yes, these materials are ready to roll". He or she should
> be in contact with the release dude and ensure that both parties (release &
> promo) know what the other is doing. That person should also be good enough
> to tell a crappy press release from a good one, and be fully aware of all
> the work that needs to be done to distribute it once ready.

Tom, with all the respect, but judging by the last rush job, you alone are
hardly the "best" person to judge if the release is worded correctly. Too
much computereese. Too many incomplete sentences. I highly suggest peer
review of at least 3-4 pairs of diverse eyes and a "weighted vote" sorta
rough arrangement or understanding.

Relying on one person, whose personal life is unreliable is completely
unreliable. If you arrange for a system with a good safety net, we don't have
to rely on you any more. You can sleep much more and better.

--
Danil Dotsenko

 (\ /)
(O.o)