List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Getting extra events section requirements for SpreadKDE
From:       Tom Chance <tom () acrewoods ! net>
Date:       2006-05-29 16:24:56

Ahoy,

Barbara recently described the current proposed setup of the events section \
of  SpreadKDE [REQ]. There is an annoying bug with the date field in the \
CCK  module that needs fixing before I'd feel comfortable rolling it out \
[BUG].

In the meantime it'd be good to brainstorm the requirements a bit more. To
elaborate on Barbara's description, here's how volunteer participation will \

work: We will be able to "attach" tasks to events, and then use them to \
track  things like "Promotional materials needed" and "People attending". \
People can  then sign up to tasks and discuss them in the comments.

Unfortunately this system is quite limited. For example, event organisers \
will  still have to manually maintain a list of people attending with all \
the  relevant details in a task. There also won't be any way of bringing up \
alerts  such as "we need to register for this event within the next week!".

Neither of those two features can, so far as I can tell, be easily added in \
 using existing Drupal modules. So whilst we can get a basic events system \
up  and running (which, let's face it, will be a huge improvement already) \
if we  want to make it really shine we're going to have to develop some \
code, or  hook up with others working on events management stuff in Drupal.

I've emailed a guy at CivicSpace labs who has set out to improve things...
hopefully he'll bring me good news soon. In the meantime it would be good \
to  flesh out, in an orderly fashion ;), the kinds of features we'd like to \
see.

Regards,
Tom

[REQ] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-promo&m=114869634030770&w=2
[BUG] http://drupal.org/node/50062

--
I'll give £100 to People & Planet if 20 people give £10.
Help me help this amazing student activist network!