List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Contest: Working version of KOffice 1.5 on Windows,
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2006-05-18 10:53:08

On Thursday 18 May 2006 12.00, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 May 2006 21:03, Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:

> > If that means, 3.000$ to the developement of KOffice 2.0 and if that is
> > official: Anyone still against it?
>
> No it's not. It's 3K$ put into development of Qt3-based 1.5 branch while
> work is being done in Qt4-based trunk of KOffice 2.0. For KDE, working on
> Qt3-based stuff for Windows doesn't make sense because there is no GPLed
> Qt3 for Windows. That is exactly the point why it would drain resources and
> is a waste of time.

Well, to put it into perspective, I think that the $3K could be viewed as
going into KOffice marketing, not development wether it goes into the Qt3 or
Qt4 based version.  No matter which version of KOffice the competition goes
into, it will be newsworthy when the windows binary runs.  That's all that we
can expect to get out of it - but that's not too bad.

At the moment I think that the biggest hurdles there are for widespread
deployment of KOffice are:
 - Not running on Windows
 - People not knowing about it
 - Some technical matters like bad font kerning

To be able to lessen the two biggest hurdles in one swoop is not too shabby at
all.

> Pipe-dream: Next time, first contact people working on the project in
> question and try to find out what makes sense and what doesn't.

He did that.

	-Inge

--
Inge Wallin               | Thus spake the master programmer:               |
                          |      "After three days without programming,     |