List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Contest: Working version of KOffice 1.5 on Windows,
From:       Sebastian =?iso-8859-15?q?K=FCgler?= <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-05-18 10:00:33

On Wednesday 17 May 2006 21:03, Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:
> I now read many reasons, why this contest wouldn't help, but what if simply
> someone takes up the job?
>
> Maybe someone, who thinks that 3.000$ is a hell of a lot of money, because
> he/she gets only 600¤ a month (or less) and has nothing to do at the
> moment.
>
> Someone wants to give money and remain anonymous, and he even offered to
> give us the money at once, so we can give it out.
> Why should we reject 3.000$ which go to a skilled volunteer?
> I think anonymous donation is quite nice, and I don't think requiring
> someone to reveal his identity for giving money makes sense in this case.
> Maybe he has reasons to keep it hidden ("Mickrigweich" employee? ;) )
>
> And just now I read:
>
> El Miércoles, 17 de Mayo de 2006 18:07, Kent Nguyen escribió:
> > Ok, then let's change the contest to KOffice 2.0 on Windows as proof of
> > concept.
>
> If that means, 3.000$ to the developement of KOffice 2.0 and if that is
> official: Anyone still against it?

No it's not. It's 3K$ put into development of Qt3-based 1.5 branch while work
is being done in Qt4-based trunk of KOffice 2.0. For KDE, working on
Qt3-based stuff for Windows doesn't make sense because there is no GPLed Qt3
for Windows. That is exactly the point why it would drain resources and is a
waste of time.

The whole thing would make much more sense if it'd be about KOffice 2 (I think
Kent already told that he's willing to have it done on KOffice 2, so that's
fine), and if it would be a little more oriented towards the actual release
schedule of KOffice 2. The second issue depends on how usable KOffice 2 is
able to become within two months anyway, maybe David or some other KOffice
guy can comment on that.

Pipe-dream: Next time, first contact people working on the project in question
and try to find out what makes sense and what doesn't.
--
sebas