List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Contest: Working version of KOffice 1.5 on Windows,
From:       Sebastian =?iso-8859-1?q?K=FCgler?= <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-05-15 16:20:08

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 15 May 2006 16:40, Kent Nguyen wrote:
> Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> >On Saturday 13 May 2006 02:45, kent@mslinux.com wrote:
> >>I thought it would be appropriate to post this here.  Is there a way to
> >>advertise this kind of thing on KOffice and/or kde.org?  Perhaps even
> >>better in the future is those who are interested in providing this kind
> >> of reward system for work done, much like a grant, have a form to fill
> >> out, and once it's done, it can be immediately post on kde.org.
> >
> >Where does this offer come from? 3.000$ doesn't sound like a lot of money
> > to port KOffice to Windows, but is of course nice to have if you plan to
> > do it anyway. Also, I'd like to know how a community effort will be
> > regarded in that respect.
>
> It comes from the belief that KOffice on Windows will do magic to the
> world filled with MS Office.  There are _demand_ for KOffice on
> Windows.  So that's where it comes from.
>
> The $3,000 is a lot of money to people who are living on $3 a day.
> Don't be spoiled.

I don't know how many professional, skilled C++ developers are actually living
from $3 a day, but that's far beyond the point I wanted to make.

> The world is the community.  I'm very sure there'll be people in this
> world that will do it for this price.  Just let them albeit announce on
> kde.org.  I read a comment on slashdot.org about a guy saying he wasn't
> aware of the the KOffice GUI competition that said he could submit a
> better design than the one submitted.  There's an opportunity cost for
> not letting people know.  You'll never know the power of motivated,
> competitive people, they can literally do magic!

Eeeh, yeah.

My question was who's behind it, an individual, a company, Bill Gates himself?
The purpose was to make it more transparant, people might as well
think "Well, someone posted it on a mailinglist, why should I believe it and
put a lot of work in it (assuming she does it for the money)."

More facts and details would definitely be welcome. Don't get me wrong,
though. I think a bounty is a great initiative, although I don't believe very
much in running KDE things on Windows, but that's personal.
--
sebas