List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Example data (was:  LinuxTag 2006 - Review)
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () kossebau ! de>
Date:       2006-05-11 10:01:39

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am Donnerstag, 11. Mai 2006 10:19, schrieb Sebastian Kügler:

> > > Putting media on the SVN is perhaps too much wasted space, bandwidth.
> > > Torrent maybe?
> >
> > For one, we already do have this exampleuser-account in svn.
> > Then it is easier to check out svn then to search for a torrent:
> > svn.kde.org is always there and easy to use.
> > Last reason: If you are on a show you can easily improve the exampleuser
> > by commiting your stuff.
>
> I agree. We should be able to sacrifice those maybe 100MB for the
> exampleuser, it proved to be incredibly strong for Linuxtag. and having to
> download things from different places makes it much harder to get an
> exampleuser set up.
>
> Torrent is IMO not really practical, at most fairs it's just not done to
> run something as heavy on the network as bittorrent, and we would need
> enough seeds.
>
> It is also easy to update within a couple of minutes, which is very handy
> so things don't get lost easily.

Example data is useful in a lot more (promo) places:
* screenshots (app documentation, website gallery)
* live cds (ever watched a novice try out a live cd? it's close to useless
without example data, like trying a car without fuel)

And perhaps the data should be coupled with the personas (from usability), so
there could be different profiles (kid, secretary, hacker, whatever personas
there are, no idea)

Anyone from the documentation team here, who could tell what data you use for
screenshots and where it is located? If the data could be collected together
with the documentation team there would be even localized versions
available :)

Regards
Friedrich

PS: Yes, I already added this to the watson page in the wiki ;)