List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Technology distribution and technological
From:       Birger Kollstrand <birger.kollstrand () losmail ! no>
Date:       2006-04-23 22:30:56

Sunday 23 April 2006 15:25, skrev Aaron J. Seigo:
> > Last time I checked 95% of the official global market was Windows related
> > for the desktop. If you then count in the factor of SW piracy that share
> > is probalby increasing. Count also inn that the development cost pr.
> > platform is"shared" on fewer number of sales for alternative platforms.
>
> i fail to see how this translates to "not hinder the Windows market".
Well , it is called cost vs. benefit. If there is additional cost in
development and the benefit is small......

> bottom line is that if KDE becomes successful, it will take market share
> away from Windows.
This was meant at helping KDE become successful, not waiting around until it
is. That was the bottom line this time.

> it won't make it less possible (as in "harder") to
> deliver applications for Windows, obviously, but there is no way to
> seriously say that it won't impact Microsoft's market share. nor to ISVs
> particularly care as long as they sell product to someone.
I could not care about MS market share as such. In this argumentation I care
about OEM's supporting KDE and OS to get a positive edge and not an
additional cost.Several companies have tried to support open source with
their products and have backed out because the gain could not defend the
investment cost. Dell is one of them, they delivered Linux desktops a while
ago.

> again, i don't see how this impacts anything.
Aron, it was meant as a argument concerning the market share. And the market
share is something that is important in a company when considering doing an
effort in that segment.

> it's a combination of talking to companies who either are or would like to
> target Linux, yes. it's also trying to understand the business case your
> present, which honestly doesn't make much sense from that perspective.
Ditto of your argumentation Aron. I'm not sure what you want to say here.

> > What about tools to help them make keyboard layout files or development
> > environment for NAS devices?
>
> SDKs would be good yes, and would make a good addition to KDevelop. as
> would offering certification testing applications for KDE ("run foo app and
> it will collate what is and is not set up properly").
This wold reduce their cost and increase the possibility of a market uptake
for the KDE tech.

And that was what I tried to implicate in the argumentation. If KDE tech and
apps can assist the OEM's in several segments, then the chance is much bigger
that they will do it compared to that the KDE tech/apps would only benefit
the Linux segment.

Regards Birger