List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KBoothbox, Part 2: Money and schedule
From:       Birger Kollstrand <birger.kollstrand () losmail ! no>
Date:       2006-04-17 10:53:30

Monday 17 April 2006 09:02, skrev Joerg Hoh:
> Wade
>
> On Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 10:26:31PM -0500, Wade Olson wrote:
> > Joerg,
> >
> > This weekend, I'll likely be buying a router (possibly wireless),
> > cabling and an outlet/UPS for a conference here in N.A.
> >
> > Have you begun looking at models (as in hardware versions, not booth
> > babes) for any recommendations on products yet?
>
> We used Linksys WRT54G(S) machines a lot. They offer a reasonable
> cost/performance ratio. They are full fledged DSL-Routers, but they can
> also be used as switch with a wireless radio (at the last conferences we
> never used the router part).
> (And if you want, you can try to put a customized Linux (www.openwrt.org)
> on them *g*)
>
> If you want to have more ethernet ports (and no managed routers) you can
> buy the cheapest switch which fits your needs regarding port number and
> speed (if you want gigabit).
>
> > Let me know, as I'll probably be confined to purchasing at Fry's in
> > California.
> >
> > http://www.frys.com/
>
> They'll probably offer linksys hardware too.
>
> Joerg
Hi,

The WRET54G and S which are sold today are not Linux routers. Theu are based
upon an embedded os and the memory on the boxes are reduced. to 2Mb flash.
(The original GS had 8 Mb)

There might still be WRT54GL available, this is a special version for the
Linux comunity. It has 4Mb flash and 16Mb ram.

There is a ne Linksys product called wrtsl54gs. This is interesting as it has
8Mb flash and 32 Mb ram. It's more expensive, but adds the possiblity to ad
USB equipment to the router.

See http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware for Linux OpenWRT supported
devices.

And Linksys page: