List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE 3.5 is very alive! Possible Dot-Story?
From:       Birger Kollstrand <birger.kollstrand () losmail ! no>
Date:       2006-04-05 19:02:52

Wednesday 05 April 2006 19:46, skrev Aaron J. Seigo:
> i take it as an axiom that any given piece of software is not right for
> someone. the question is "who is that someone, and do we need to cater to
> them right now?"
Human beeings fear drastic changes and mostly disbelive in such changes. since
most user actually have doc's in word, excel and powerpoint format already,
they still want to use them. At least be able to read them.

> for enterprise usage, excellent ms office compat is a must (and for many,
> even OOo isn't good enough). for many home, educational and small office
> users it's not really that important. approximate support is good enough as
> they generally create more than they review other's documents and formats
> such as PDF and HTML are used more regularly for interchange. and let's
> face it, ODF is the future here (even if that is a long-term goal)
ODF might be the  future, but it is nonsens Aron that it is not important for
SMB's. I see firsthand through my work within this market that required
documents shall be in word and excel formats. It is required to work with
other companies of any size.

> and that said, what ms office file format does krita need to support
> exactly? ;)
Bla , bla .....

> so ... if this is all generally true, then perhaps KOffice concentrates on
> being a really great creator's tool and markets itself towards those
> people. perhaps the graphics suite and database tools are pimped harder
> than in a typical office suite. perhaps it's not even marketed as an
> "office suite" in the typical sense but as a collection of applications
> under the same banner much like apple's iLife apps.
No we are talking logically about niche promo. Not KDE star promo. KOffice is
not world leading as amaroK or DigiKam.

> in other words, let's get koffice to as many people as would benefit from
> it today. which is quite a few.
> now ... think of the end results: by growing the user base, we'll also grow
> the general interest in koffice and thereby the development efforts put
> into it. maybe then we'll see ms office format support improve. but if we
> simply don't ever promote it to anyone then we end up no further along that
> we are now.
>
> in other words: start simple, do some specific things really well, get a
> user base, improve from there. repeat. as an exercise to the reader, one
> may want to look at amarok or digikam's evolution over time in this
> respect.
But this does not make KOffice the star to put the KDE star promotion effort
on. Sorry, but I would see that as a large mistake.

It is a much better and more sexy sell to promote amaroK and DigiKam.

Regards Birger