List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Searching staff for CeBIT 2006
From:       Sebastian =?utf-8?q?K=C3=BCgler?= <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-01-19 11:48:23

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 19 January 2006 12:32, Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 19. Januar 2006 10:22 schrieb Sebastian Kügler:
>
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> > Prepare key messages before you go there, work out what you want to tell
> > people of different groups, try to find out what they're interested in
> > (marketing is a two-way thing, after all).
>
> Can the MWG help us to prepare a written work which shall be a guidance for
> all KDE people staffing the booth?
>
> I think that especially the key messages are important.

Yup, we're working on that. [SKO] has a first version, but I need to add some
more stuff, especially WRT strategic messaging. Note that it'll probably be
very much in flux until the target group analysis is done, and we have a
better idea of our strategic pillars. But still it's a good begin to have an
organised attendance on the meeting.

In the Netherlands, we've tried to organise event attendance more
strategically, and it seemed to work wonders. Only thinking about what you
want at that event, what you expect and what the keymessages should be is a
very good thing. Basically, an event needs 3 emails to / from the staff:

1) Strategic information:
	- What kind of event is it?
	- What kind of target groups will you see there?
	- What are your keymessages?
	- What can you realistically expect from the attendance?
	- How will you present yourselves there (from dresscode until "desktop for
	  the enterprise", "platform for developers", "community effort"; depending
	  on the sort of event)

2) Practical information:
	- Telephone numbers
	- Where, who, when?
	- Who does what?
	- Having promo / merchandise material there
	- How to you get in? Often, that's different from visitors

3) Often forgotten - very important: Wrap-up:
	Send an email to related lists, lists that might be interested in the results
	(ev-marketing, maybe ev-promo, local lists) with how things went, what you
	did, if you made contact to interesting people. Things that should be done
	better next time, in short: everything that was interesting and has been
	learned.

If such a procedure can be made routine, I'm sure that the "performance" at
events can be improved quite a lot, and that we make better use of the
resources, such as people's free time.

[SKO] http://www.spreadkde.org/dev/node/28
--
sebas