List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Marketing KDE4 (was Re: Linus Torvalds said: "KDE
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-12-19 1:50:37

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 18 December 2005 17:08, Tom Chance wrote:
> latest attempt at an irrefutable argument is - why wouldn't those official
> apps just be 'Clarity apps'?

to avoid the same problem with "KDE apps" ... "Clarity" would be a brand for
the desktop and APIs, so i can see someone saying that their app is a "KDE
Clairty" app instead of a "KDE4 app" as we would de-emphasize the numbering
nomenclature.

> My take on your proposal, Aaron, is that we ship the desktop environment as
> a bundle - Clarity. We then officially ship apps that meet certain
> standards and brand them as "Clarity apps". Other apps that happen to use
> the KDE APIs are then just plain old "KDE apps" (though that all of a
> sudden makes next to no sense ;).

yes, people would start calling them KDE Clarity apps i'd imagine (if we do
this right).

> But then the thinking behind Amarok and Digikam going into the 'Clarity
> apps' category is more than automated tests. It's to do with their overall
> quality, the fact that they are the best apps of their kind, and the
> likelihood of them being actively developed in the forseeable future.

yes.. and that we (the primary KDE project) consider them part of our umbrella
project and take on additional responsibility for them.

> Also
> how you see
> those brands fitting in with certification, which you almost seem to
> have put in
> as an afterthought but which, as Wade said, seems like it could be a
> *really* big move for the KDE Project.

first off we need tests by which software can certify, and a low-cost method
(time wise, primarily) for a given version of a piece of software. they would
need to recertify with each release, and of course since open source software
goes by the mantra "release often" this is part of the reason why it needs to
be low-cost (the other part is that we don't many resources =)

to achieve low-cost, it must be largely automated. i say largely because at
the end of the day there has to be someone WE trust who say "yes, it passed"
and click it through to the certification database.

to automate it we need things like the HIG autochecker and then a
certification harness that can be used to run these tests.

which is why i tagged it on as an afterthought; i'm not sure yet that we are
able to do this for 4.0.

--
Aaron J. Seigo