List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Release promotion guide - needs review
From:       Tom Chance <tom () acrewoods ! net>
Date:       2005-12-18 22:17:35

Quoting "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo@kde.org>:

> On Sunday 18 December 2005 11:50, Tom Chance wrote:
> > http://www.spreadkde.org/dev/handbook/release_promotion
>
> wow. really nice.
>
> something that would make a great addition is some boilerplate
> HTML+CSS to use
> when doing a visual guide. the reasons for this:
>
> - most of us suck at making non-fugly websites
> - people are lazy and will copy 'n paste if they can, which should lead to a
> more standard appearance across kde feature guides (== stronger branding)
> - lowers the bar to creating such guides, and therefore the likeliehood of
> them happening
>
> some notes on taking screenshots for these guides would also be good, such as
> "how to do nice drop shadows" and "always use the default kde widget and
> colour themes for screenshots" ...

Yeah, that definitely sounds good. I was unsure about writing a whole new page
for those, but now you say that, and Bill posted that MacOSX thing, I think it
would be a good idea.

If anyone wants a quick and easy job, here's your chance for fame and
glory :-)
You can take the KDE 3.5 visual guide we did recently and put together a
generic template from it.

It would also be good if people could throw around some thoughts on the
dos and
dont's of visual guides. For example:

- Write as little as possible. Text is boring, but you need a little to
explain
the new features.
- Don't try to be funny or cute, because the chances are that you're not :)
- Keep it short, and don't feel tempted to pad it out with really
boring things
like 'this bug was fixed' (unless it's a major bug) or 'this UI was slightly
tweaked' (unless the UI looks really cool)

Regards,
Tom

--
I am aware that emails to this address may be mistakenly caught as spam. If
you don't get a reasonably timely reply, please try contacting me at