List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo]
From:       Mihnea Capraru <mihnea_capraru () yahoo ! de>
Date:       2005-12-18 18:29:41

On Sunday 18 December 2005 19:36, kent@mslinux.com wrote:
> Quoting Tom Chance <tom@acrewoods.net>:

> > > There is.  If you let CNN, news.com, linuxtoday, business wire, yahoo
> > > news, google news, bloggers, etc. pick this up, you will have an
> > > incredible masses looking at KDE.  The name Linus Torvald alone in the
> > > media can get the attention of at least 10 million people.  Linus
> > > Torvald is a superstar, use that to KDE's advantage!
> >
> > Woah, why would CNN give a damn? =) Linus Torvalds is *NOT* a superstar,
> > he's just a well-known geek amongst the geek community.
>
> If Linus is a not a superstar why people make a big fuss of his
> comment? Slashdot commands about 1-10 million users.  That goes to show
> his popularity
> reach.  CNN did report on Linus the creator Linux being the Windows
> killer. So, I think Linus does has a lot of weight in the mainstream
> press.

CNN will not report about Linus being the Gnome killer :)

Besides, we are not interested in killing Gnome. Gnome itself has been started
to kill off KDE, that's more or less history and, at any rate, it has nothing
to do with the spirit of KDE.

> > Anyway, the only way this can be interesting to a journalist is for
> > it to be a
> > bitch fight between KDE and GNOME. Linus uses KDE... so what? I bet he
> > uses lots of free software, who cares? The story is "Linux lays into
> > GNOME", that's what got covered and KDE got some incidental coverage as a
> > result. Look at the total lack of interest in Linus' new tool 'Git' after
> > the geek press storm surrounding BitKeeper and it's obvious why one got
> > coverage and another didn't.
>
> KDE has momentum.  Linux has momentum.  Using the momentum to push this
> forward
> by leveraging Linus popularity to bring KDE more to the mass.  Think of
> momentum like inertia, once it goes, it keeps on going.

I can see :)

Ok, momentum and inertia are indeed related terms, they both belong to
mechanics, but there's no point in telling people to consider them
synonymous.

> You need to work
> with this inertia to make this force to grow exponentially faster.

How does inertia make a force grow?

Btw, do you mean exponentially faster, or just exponentially fast?

> Git and BitKeeper are interest of developers which have an audience less
> than 10,000 people (mainly developers) whereas KDE as a potential Windows
> displacer has an interest of well over 1,000,000,000 people.  Which do you
> think make better sense in the public media?  Revision control or nice
> looking desktop?
>
> > If we try to bring this up as a story we'll either just fail, or
> > we'll further
> > stoke the "KDE vs GNOME" fire. For a start, no big news sites will care
> > about that fire. But more importantly, and what no marketing education
> > can teach you, that story is bad bad bad for KDE. Why? Because KDE's
> > immediate future depends upon GNOME also doing really well. KDE's future
> > depends upon people perceiving "the Linux desktop" as a killer item.
>
> You want to intensify competition by comparing where KDE is better than
> Gnome. Throwing emotional hot waters may help the ego to make things
> better, but
> ultimately the users who use KDE or Gnome will know which is better.
> That's the ultimate goal in competition, you fight each other so you can
> better each other to make the best damn desktop for the user!

You don't need a fight in order to make the best desktop.

> You don't
> compete to kill each other off.  That's stupid, you compete to make the
> best damn desktop so you can kill your competitor (Gnome, Windows, BeOS,
> etc.).  See the difference?

No, you don't make KDE the best just so you can kill Gnome or whomever else.
There was no Gnome around when KDE was started. The people who make KDE want
to make the best desktop, and that's about all. Lots of users can help with
making KDE the best, but starting a war with Gnome cannot.

> > There are *lots* of important tasks that need doing, and that would in
> > the long-term have a much bigger positive impact, than pushing this
> > story: http://www.spreadkde.org/dev/tasks
>
> I disagree.  KDE has exhausted their current developer's audience.  And
> what do
> you do when you reach that pinnacle, you find more people, and how do you
> find more people.  You spread KDE to a bigger audience.

And how do you spread KDE to a bigger audience? The rest of the answers we
already knew, thank you.

> > > There are many people on this mailing list that lacks marketing
> > > education which
> > > I find very alarming.

Thank you for spotting the danger.

> > Maybe you could share some of your education with us? I'm not kidding.
> > Your tone is very aggressive and dismissive - something I'm also guilty
> > of at times. Being a hacker is all about demonstrating and sharing your
> > skills.
>
> I read Internet articles on superstring theory, and am writing a book
> on theory
> of nothing.

Great! All we needed on the marketing team was the theory of nothing!

> In terms of formal education, I came from a

You came? And where do you come from now?

> very liberal number 1 public
> university in the world.  If you do your research, you can figure that out
> yourself.

The number one university in the world is anglophone, and you didn't come from
there, trust me.

Ok, so here are my conclusions:

1. If someone can get Linus to say something good about KDE in a positive
context, do it.

2. If Linus doesn't like Gnome well I don't like it either, but don't make a
childish parade out of this.

3. Gnome is just about the best ally we can get, so don't piss them off. (Yes
I know, some of them piss us off but don't imitate everything you see)

4. Are you serious or are you just spamming the mailing list. You certainly
don't sound like serious.