List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo]
From:       Mihnea Capraru <mihnea_capraru () yahoo ! de>
Date:       2005-12-18 18:29:41

On Sunday 18 December 2005 19:36, kent@mslinux.com wrote:
> Quoting Tom Chance <tom@acrewoods.net>:

> > > There is.  If you let CNN, news.com, linuxtoday, business wire, yahoo
> > > news, google news, bloggers, etc. pick this up, you will have an
> > > incredible masses looking at KDE.  The name Linus Torvald alone in \
> > > the media can get the attention of at least 10 million people.  Linus
> > > Torvald is a superstar, use that to KDE's advantage!
> >
> > Woah, why would CNN give a damn? =) Linus Torvalds is *NOT* a \
> > superstar, he's just a well-known geek amongst the geek community.
>
> If Linus is a not a superstar why people make a big fuss of his
> comment? Slashdot commands about 1-10 million users.  That goes to show
> his popularity
> reach.  CNN did report on Linus the creator Linux being the Windows
> killer. So, I think Linus does has a lot of weight in the mainstream
> press.

CNN will not report about Linus being the Gnome killer :)

Besides, we are not interested in killing Gnome. Gnome itself has been \
started  to kill off KDE, that's more or less history and, at any rate, it \
has nothing  to do with the spirit of KDE.

> > Anyway, the only way this can be interesting to a journalist is for
> > it to be a
> > bitch fight between KDE and GNOME. Linus uses KDE... so what? I bet he
> > uses lots of free software, who cares? The story is "Linux lays into
> > GNOME", that's what got covered and KDE got some incidental coverage as \
> > a result. Look at the total lack of interest in Linus' new tool 'Git' \
> > after the geek press storm surrounding BitKeeper and it's obvious why \
> > one got coverage and another didn't.
>
> KDE has momentum.  Linux has momentum.  Using the momentum to push this
> forward
> by leveraging Linus popularity to bring KDE more to the mass.  Think of
> momentum like inertia, once it goes, it keeps on going.

I can see :)

Ok, momentum and inertia are indeed related terms, they both belong to
mechanics, but there's no point in telling people to consider them
synonymous.

> You need to work
> with this inertia to make this force to grow exponentially faster.

How does inertia make a force grow?

Btw, do you mean exponentially faster, or just exponentially fast?

> Git and BitKeeper are interest of developers which have an audience less
> than 10,000 people (mainly developers) whereas KDE as a potential Windows
> displacer has an interest of well over 1,000,000,000 people.  Which do \
> you think make better sense in the public media?  Revision control or \
> nice looking desktop?
>
> > If we try to bring this up as a story we'll either just fail, or
> > we'll further
> > stoke the "KDE vs GNOME" fire. For a start, no big news sites will care
> > about that fire. But more importantly, and what no marketing education
> > can teach you, that story is bad bad bad for KDE. Why? Because KDE's
> > immediate future depends upon GNOME also doing really well. KDE's \
> > future depends upon people perceiving "the Linux desktop" as a killer \
> > item.
>
> You want to intensify competition by comparing where KDE is better than
> Gnome. Throwing emotional hot waters may help the ego to make things
> better, but
> ultimately the users who use KDE or Gnome will know which is better.
> That's the ultimate goal in competition, you fight each other so you can
> better each other to make the best damn desktop for the user!

You don't need a fight in order to make the best desktop.

> You don't
> compete to kill each other off.  That's stupid, you compete to make the
> best damn desktop so you can kill your competitor (Gnome, Windows, BeOS,
> etc.).  See the difference?

No, you don't make KDE the best just so you can kill Gnome or whomever \
else.  There was no Gnome around when KDE was started. The people who make \
KDE want  to make the best desktop, and that's about all. Lots of users can \
help with  making KDE the best, but starting a war with Gnome cannot.

> > There are *lots* of important tasks that need doing, and that would in
> > the long-term have a much bigger positive impact, than pushing this
> > story: http://www.spreadkde.org/dev/tasks
>
> I disagree.  KDE has exhausted their current developer's audience.  And
> what do
> you do when you reach that pinnacle, you find more people, and how do you
> find more people.  You spread KDE to a bigger audience.

And how do you spread KDE to a bigger audience? The rest of the answers we
already knew, thank you.

> > > There are many people on this mailing list that lacks marketing
> > > education which
> > > I find very alarming.

Thank you for spotting the danger.

> > Maybe you could share some of your education with us? I'm not kidding.
> > Your tone is very aggressive and dismissive - something I'm also guilty
> > of at times. Being a hacker is all about demonstrating and sharing your
> > skills.
>
> I read Internet articles on superstring theory, and am writing a book
> on theory
> of nothing.

Great! All we needed on the marketing team was the theory of nothing!

> In terms of formal education, I came from a

You came? And where do you come from now?

> very liberal number 1 public
> university in the world.  If you do your research, you can figure that \
> out yourself.

The number one university in the world is anglophone, and you didn't come \
from  there, trust me.

Ok, so here are my conclusions:

1. If someone can get Linus to say something good about KDE in a positive
context, do it.

2. If Linus doesn't like Gnome well I don't like it either, but don't make \
a  childish parade out of this.

3. Gnome is just about the best ally we can get, so don't piss them off. \
(Yes  I know, some of them piss us off but don't imitate everything you \
see)

4. Are you serious or are you just spamming the mailing list. You certainly \
 don't sound like serious.