List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] slashdot KDE icon
From:       Olaf Jan Schmidt <ojschmidt () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-11-29 15:57:17

[Martijn Klingens]
> The older logos (down a bit on http://www.kde.org/stuff/clipart.php) are
> what /.'s is based upon and those are neither recent nor trademarked.

The image used in the trademark application is the one which was on the KDE
website three years ago, and even older than the one used on
http://kdedevelopers.org/ . We used an italic font style for the words "the K
desktop environment" back then. The trademark applies to our current logo as
well, because the outline is the same (as Daniel pointed out).

The Slashdot logo is yet another version with a different outline (and not
listed on the clipart page). I don't know whether it used in KDE 1 times. It
might also be an independent creation of some artist.

> I would call "proper" something close enough to our current logo to
> strengthen our branding. The "old" logo that /. uses does not fulfill that
> goal.

I generally agree.

But the colour of our current logo doesn't blend in with with the colour
scheme used on the various Slashdot subdomains, so I am not sure whether they
would be willing to use it, and using one of the other older KDE logos would
not be much of an improvement.

Olaf

--
Olaf Jan Schmidt, KDE Accessibility co-maintainer, open standards
accessibility networker, Protestant theology student and webmaster of