List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE Myths (Update)
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-11-28 23:26:28

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Mihnea Capraru wrote:
>What I mean is that people are weary of the MS habit of tieing apps to
> other products. Stuff like "can't buy X (which you need) unless you
> take Y with it".

Ok.

>Some people I've either personally met or seen posting to the Internet
> have the feeling that the KDE releases are somehow flooding them with
> apps, which they need to install.

Ok, the myth is:
  KDE forces me to install a lot of applications that I don't use

That I can agree and that we can work on. But remember that this is a
sensitive issue because we shift the burden of splitting the KDE packages
to the distributors and not all of them do it (e.g., FreeBSD ports).

>But the fact is that good distros (like Debian or SuSE) provide
> fine-grained packages, such as Kate, juK etc.

Do not write "good" in the page in that context, please.

>If I understood this correctly, the KDE source releases come in big
> bundles in order to reduce packaging/release management overhead, they
> don't mean to say that their contents depend upon each other. (e.g. I
> don't need KEdit in order to have Kate)

There's some strategic value in bundling related things together.

If we released a myriad of small packages, not only would it be a heavy
burden to build and install and to track changes, it wouldn't give some
small applications the visibility they have now.

One example was Kommander: it "came along" with Quanta, but now it's
grown. It could only do that because it got exposure and grew beyond its
original goals.

Another example is the kdeutils package: kregexp, kcharselect, khexedit,
kgpg.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

3. Ac seo woruld wearð geborod, swá se Scieppend cwæð "Gewurde Unix" and
wundor fremede and him "Unix" genemned, þæt is se rihtendgesamnung.