List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE Myths (Update)
From:       Mihnea Capraru <mihnea_capraru () yahoo ! de>
Date:       2005-11-28 22:19:29

On Tuesday 29 November 2005 00:13, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Mihnea Capraru wrote:
> > mmm, yes. I'd like to have three myths added (either by me or by someone
> > willing):
> >
> > KDE comes 'bundled' with applications
>
> Please describe this one better. The way it is written, it could be be
> true (we have lots of applications in KDE).

What I mean is that people are weary of the MS habit of tieing apps to other
products. Stuff like "can't buy X (which you need) unless you take Y with
it".

Some people I've either personally met or seen posting to the Internet have
the feeling that the KDE releases are somehow flooding them with apps, which
they need to install.

But the fact is that good distros (like Debian or SuSE) provide fine-grained
packages, such as Kate, juK etc.

If I understood this correctly, the KDE source releases come in big bundles in
order to reduce packaging/release management overhead, they don't mean to say
that their contents depend upon each other. (e.g. I don't need KEdit in order
to have Kate)

Mihnea