List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE Myths Facts Check
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-11-25 19:36:02

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 25 November 2005 08:02, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> >Is this phrase accurate? Does the GPL explicitely
> >require GPL, or is any GPL compatible licence OK? The
> >KDE libs are LGPL, after all.
>
> It's inaccurate. All it requires is a GPL-compatible license. In other
> words, any license that does not impose any restrictions on rights and
> freedom that the GPL itself doesn't have.

yes, this is probably clearer ...

> >"If you link against the Qt Free edition your program
> >must be released under a license that is compatiable
> >with either the GPL or QPL."
> >
> >The QPL again. Do we keep references to it?
>
> This part is wrong. The QPL explicitly allows closed-source programs to be
> linked, as long as they were developed with the commercial license.
>
> In other words, commercial applications don't have to ship Qt: they can
> just use the installed (Free) one.

hm... the poor wording here is "link against". it really ought to be "if you
develop using the Qt Free edition" rather than mention the linking. the point
here was that if you use the Qt Free edition (in other words you have no
commercial license) then you need to use an appropriate open source license.

--
Aaron J. Seigo