List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] "A finer grained division of possible target
From:       Tom Chance <tom () acrewoods ! net>
Date:       2005-11-22 11:17:20

Ahoy,

Mihnea, can you check how you reply to emails? It wasn't clear what text was
mine and what was your reply :/

On Monday 21 Nov 2005 22:19, Mihnea Capraru wrote:
> Which brings me to my point: it's not freedom that will draw people to
> KDE, it's KDE that will draw people to freedom.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this :) I think it will be
different for different people. For my part I've converted people to KDE for
both reasons, but more usually for the freedom aspect. Not least because even
the most modern Linux distro still makes life a bit of a pain in the arse for
desktop users sometimes :-)

Also most people really don't care what software they use, just so long as it
does the job. If they're a techie or an IT manager they might be more
interested in the technology but then they will also be especially interested
in what really makes KDE different to Windows and MacOS: freedom. All those
other users are most likely to be converted to KDE by friends, a good reason
why we need something like SpreadKDE (see www.spreadkde.org).

IMO, both for pragmatic and "idealistic" reasons we should push the freedom
angle as well as the technology/features angles.

> As for the individual reasons of promoting KDE, I am confident that those
> who promote it because it's good are perfectly compatible with those who
> promote it because it's free.

Compatible, yes, but not "perfectly compatible" :-) If GNOME became by far the
more realistic free desktop proposal I'd probably go and promote them
instead! The fact that the choice between the two is pretty subjective right
now, and that I prefer KDE and want to give something back, keeps me on this
list rather than gnome-marketing ;-)

IMO it's really important to remember that most people have better things to
think about and participate in than a software project! (though that's not to
knock those who do participate, quite the opposite...)

Regards,
Tom

--
I'm aware that e-mails to me may be blocked by my host
because they are mistaken as spam. If this happens,