List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] "A finer grained division of possible target
From:       Tom Chance <tom () acrewoods ! net>
Date:       2005-11-22 11:17:20

Ahoy,

Mihnea, can you check how you reply to emails? It wasn't clear what text \
was  mine and what was your reply :/

On Monday 21 Nov 2005 22:19, Mihnea Capraru wrote:
> Which brings me to my point: it's not freedom that will draw people to
> KDE, it's KDE that will draw people to freedom.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this :) I think it will be
different for different people. For my part I've converted people to KDE \
for  both reasons, but more usually for the freedom aspect. Not least \
because even  the most modern Linux distro still makes life a bit of a pain \
in the arse for  desktop users sometimes :-)

Also most people really don't care what software they use, just so long as \
it  does the job. If they're a techie or an IT manager they might be more
interested in the technology but then they will also be especially \
interested  in what really makes KDE different to Windows and MacOS: \
freedom. All those  other users are most likely to be converted to KDE by \
friends, a good reason  why we need something like SpreadKDE (see \
www.spreadkde.org).

IMO, both for pragmatic and "idealistic" reasons we should push the freedom \
 angle as well as the technology/features angles.

> As for the individual reasons of promoting KDE, I am confident that those
> who promote it because it's good are perfectly compatible with those who
> promote it because it's free.

Compatible, yes, but not "perfectly compatible" :-) If GNOME became by far \
the  more realistic free desktop proposal I'd probably go and promote them
instead! The fact that the choice between the two is pretty subjective \
right  now, and that I prefer KDE and want to give something back, keeps me \
on this  list rather than gnome-marketing ;-)

IMO it's really important to remember that most people have better things \
to  think about and participate in than a software project! (though that's \
not to  knock those who do participate, quite the opposite...)

Regards,
Tom

--
I'm aware that e-mails to me may be blocked by my host
because they are mistaken as spam. If this happens,