List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Give "KDE Myths" more prominence [was: "A
From:       Mihnea Capraru <mihnea_capraru () yahoo ! de>
Date:       2005-11-21 22:01:43

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Wade Olson <wade@corefunction.com> schrieb: On 11/21/05, Kurt Pfeifle  wrote:
> I've now looked at that page more closely. I found it is too "well
> hidden" for being discovered easily and lending itself to easy reading.
> But its excellent *content* deserves better, of course.
>
> I see three major weaknesses in the *presentation*, which hinders it to
> be more well-known:
>
> First,
>   the URL. It is "http://kdemyths.urbanlizard.com/". It is not found
>   easily at all. To make it more easy to find, at least it needs some
>   prominent linking from various .kde.org sites, if not even hosting
>   as "kdemyths.kde.org".

Of course we gain credibility by having myths discussed by some
supposed third independent party....but would I trust info from a site
called urbanlizard?  Doubtful.

Doesn't seem far from: geospace/users/~wolson/why_kde_rocks.html

> Second,
>   catchwords and navigation. It takes at least one click too many to
>   get to the meat of an argument. It needs some internal structure
>   redesign, I think.
>
> Third,
>   google-ability. This weakness diretly flows from the first two. Of
>   course, typing "kde myths" into Google makes urbanlizard the topmost
>   hit. But searching "licensing of qt" does not turn it up on the
>   first 3 pages (while there are even Gnome-related sites that do
>   appear here).

The insulting part: to be honest, due to KDE's curent site layout and
hierarchy, I pretty much google everything to get to a certain KDE
location.  Trying to dig through to get info from links or search just
makes me punch things.  My equipment thanks me for googling isntead.
I'm afraid I need to confirm this. That's what I do too.

 Mihnea

Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 1GB kostenlosem Speicher