List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Give "KDE Myths" more prominence [was: "A
From:       Sebastian =?iso-8859-1?q?K=FCgler?= <sebas () kde ! nl>
Date:       2005-11-21 17:12:02

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Thanks for reviewing, Kurt. I think your suggestions make a) a lot of sense
and b) speccing a job to update this very easy. So let's add that to our TODO
list (and

On Monday 21 November 2005 18:40, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> I've now looked at that page more closely. I found it is too "well
> hidden" for being discovered easily and lending itself to easy reading.
> But its excellent *content* deserves better, of course.
>
> I see three major weaknesses in the *presentation*, which hinders it to
> be more well-known:
>
> First,
>   the URL. It is "http://kdemyths.urbanlizard.com/". It is not found
>   easily at all. To make it more easy to find, at least it needs some
>   prominent linking from various .kde.org sites, if not even hosting
>   as "kdemyths.kde.org".

Exactly.

> Second,
>   catchwords and navigation. It takes at least one click too many to
>   get to the meat of an argument. It needs some internal structure
>   redesign, I think.

Yup, it should be one catchy sentence per myth presented on pagelevel 1,
marked as hyperlink with the truth behind it. Imagine you're on IRC in a wild
discussion and you want to give a reaction to some troll ... :>

> Third,
>   google-ability. This weakness diretly flows from the first two. Of
>   course, typing "kde myths" into Google makes urbanlizard the topmost
>   hit. But searching "licensing of qt" does not turn it up on the
>   first 3 pages (while there are even Gnome-related sites that do
>   appear here).

True, but it's also measured by the number of pages referring to the myths
page, so we'd need external help. Let's ask the gnomies to link this
page! ;-)

> To outline a few more details about "Second":
>
>  1st, find the page itself.
>  2nd, discover and click on the left-hand navigation topics, f.e.
>       "Licensing".
>  3rd, click on licensing opens only a very "neutral" description of
>       a number of myths in question, f.e. "Licensing of the Qt library".
>  4th, only after clicking on "Licensing of the Qt library" you get
>       to the real myth summarized as "Myth: Qt is not Free software,
>       or is only compatible with some Free software licenses."
>
> Catchwords and navigation could be improved by replacing "3rd" with one
> single page that contains all licensing myths at once, with each of the
> "neutral" titles removed.
>
> (After all, the site already carries "myths" in its title -- so trying
> to paint it in a more neutral objective coloration by those added title
> tags doesnt blend well with its obvious goal: to destroy false myths
> around KDE.)

"Misunderstandings" is more neutral, we should use this term as well.

[...]
> P.S.: there are a few updates to the content required too, but I didnt
>       evaluate all of it. What springs to mind first, is the missing
>       "Qt4 is GPL on Windows" bit. I am sure the MWG circles will come
>       up with many more suggestions.

Yeah, we have collected more truths since KDE 2 has been released, a little
more up-to-dateness certainly does no harm.

Another thing would be the warning when clicking on "Add a myth", should be
reasonably easy to fix though (just remove some &, it's in fact removed
already).

Is someone willing to get her hands dirty on this?
--
sebas

 http://www.kde.nl | http://vizZzion.org |  GPG Key ID: 9119 0EF9
Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the
grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen an angry penguin
charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what
they say if they had. - Linus Torvalds