List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE's slogan
From:       Mihnea Capraru <mihnea_capraru () yahoo ! de>
Date:       2005-11-15 23:08:15

--- Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> schrieb:

> I have a feeling you're reading this as: "KDE will
> conquer the
> desktop user market".  I believe it actually means,
> simply,
> "you have a desktop on your computer...  KDE helps
> you be in control of it."

I'm not reading it as in 'conquer the market'. I'm
reading it as in 'conquer your desktop', which people
mostly don't want to do.

They don't want to struggle with their desktop and
conquer it. They want their computer to already be a
civilized, law-abiding place. Besides, it's not the
desktop that matters to them, it's _them_ (and their
friends, and their work, and their loved ones - the
desktop is only a 'loved one' to a small minority).
That's why we need to replace 'desktop' with 'you'.

> > A 'conquest' is a difficult feat. It's like
> climbing a
> > mountain - certainly a great feeling, but not to
> be
> > done on a daily basis.
>
> Yes, but once it's done... as KDE (mostly) does for
> me, it's a great
> feeling.

I know that feeling. But geeks and mountain climbers
are relatively rare, and most mountain climbers don't
climb daily. But computers do get used daily, which
means that they shouldn't resemble a peak, they should
be like a soft valley with clear waters and lovely
birds singing all over. No, really.

> I have conquered my desktop, and am now in
> complete control
> (mostly). ;^)

That's great. But we need the user to say 'KDE has
installed onto my computer, and I am now in complete
control of it. And I love every bit of it. No bitter
struggles attached.

> It's obviously a case where the same term means two
> things, depending
> on the context.  Similar to "PC" meaning "Personal
> Computer" (Macs are PCs,
> so is my Atari 800XL!) and to meaning the "IBM PC"
> brand of computers, and
> more generally, those compatible (Wintel?  OOps, but
> now there's AMD... and
> Linux... and BSD...)

The duplicate meaning of 'desktop' is just a secondary
idea. What's important is that the user does not focus
on the desktop, she focuses upon her needs, so that's
what we need to talk about.

> Oh... and also, the D in KDE stands for desktop. ;^)

I've no problem with that :)

> > Speaking about 'desktop' might drive some people
> into believing that
> > KDE does not work on laptops.
>
> ... then again, I've seen sillier things on the
> Internet, so maybe it IS
> worth changing.  *sigh*  :^)
>

> <snip>
> > 'KDE. Created to Deserve You'
>
> I agree with others that this doesn't make much
> sense.  If you put some
> thought into it, it's kind of cute...  but upon
> initial glance, it's quite
> confusing. :)

Confusing is good, when it comes to slogans. Slogans
are like films or novels, not like software. Software
needs to be plain, but slogans need to 'get them
hooked'. They need intrigue, otherwise they don't make
the audience want to follow through.

> > I'm posting this now to avoid a lengthy message,
>
> Hehe, too late! ;)

Yep.

Mihnea