List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] aLANtejo 2005 - Report
From:       Josef Spillner <spillner () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-10-30 18:41:27

Olá promo people,

as promised, here comes the report for aLANtejo 2005.
For the second time, the aLANtejo event took place in Évora, Alentejo region,
Portugal from October 20-22. The event consists of three parts: a conference
(in a university building), a project/company exposition tent and a LAN party
tent. Both tents were huge and many people went in and out.

The conference was dealing with "new technologies" on the first day,
"distributed computing" on the second one and "linux" topics on the third
day. There is a lot of interesting stuff to tell about the first two days,
but covering that all here will make this mail unnecessary long, therefore
check the web pages for more info:
  http://alantejo.uevora.pt/2005/

Both KDE and GNOME were given the opportunity to present their desktops to the
public in a one-hour workshop slot. I talked a bit too much about the history
and project structure and a bit too less about practical hints (think Kurt's
"hidden secrets of KDE" talk or something like that), but in general people
seemed to like it. The GNOME speaker, Juan, concentrated on the GNOME Love
initiative and some basic GNOME development.

Then there was a moderated panel with Juan and me answering questions from the
moderator and the attendants. There were a few understanding issues, with me
not talking proper portuguese and Juan talking in Galician, but in general
people had a lot of fun because while we were stressing friendship,
freedesktop.org projects and the like, of course there was the usual pride
provoking some clear answers
There was quite some support for the KDE side, even though it seems that GNOME
is more present, especially as the default desktop of aLinex, an Alentejo
variant of gnuLinEx and somehow also related to guadeLinux, which some might
know from Málaga.
Nuno Pinheiro helped out a lot with the questions related to artwork,
mentioning our new and improved SVG support.

We really need a stronger local presence there. I think that localised flyers
could already help getting more people involved into activities. With small
modifications they could serve Brazil (pt_BR) as well.

Many thanks goes to Bruno Teixeira (in CC:) and the aLANtejo orga team for
making this trip possible, and to our Helio for creating the initial contact.

Josef