List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] 3.5 promotional article (new features stuff
From:       Tom Chance <tom () acrewoods ! net>
Date:       2005-10-03 15:46:56

On Monday 03 Oct 2005 13:35, Jes Hall wrote:
> > Here's my second revision based upon Jes' work. I've removed non-core KDE
> > stuff and covered all the items in our "best features" list. It will all
> > need checking by the relevant developers
>
> As far as webcam goes *gulp* I do have one shot, and it's even using
> plastik and KDE default colours but... *wails* it's not a good shot of me!

From Matt Rogers:

"The list of features that you have for Kopete is mostly accurate. the 'Get
Hot New Stuff' feature has actually been disabled for the moment due to some
rather critical bugs with the feature and we hope to have those fixed some
time after KDE 3.5 releases. Also, keep in mind that MSN is the only
protocol that supports both sending and receiving of webcams. Yahoo has
receive only, and even then, only when a program called 'jasper' is present
on the system (iow, it's kinda hacky). Some of the other new features to
mention would be:
 - AIM and Yahoo both have support for buddy icons (implemented via the
global identity feature)
- AIM and Yahoo have added support for rich text sending
- Yahoo has file transfer support now
- Support for the MSN over HTTP has been added (useful if behind a firewall
and only have an HTTP proxy)"

I don't have time to sort this into a short, snappy bit about Kopete right
now, so if anyone else feels like whipping out their quill and editing it, go
for it :)

It'd probably be clever to send the first complete draft to the main kde devel
list and ask for everyone to check it. It'd be a disaster if we gave a false
impression!

> Apart from that, wow! You've really polished up my draft nicely. (I wrote
> that on a 90Mhz clamshell handheld computer during some talks on common
> lisp I was dragged along to in pocket word, so I imagine it prolly seemed a
> little rough

I'm glad you liked it, though it was handy having a block of text and a nice
writing style to start with. The hamster seemed to enjoy watching me write it
too (that's about as close as I come to a romanticised writing tale).

Regards,
Tom

--
I'm aware that e-mails to me may be blocked by my host
because they are mistaken as spam. If this happens,