List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Promoting KDE Releases & KDE 3.5 Beta-1
From:       Elliot Pahl <elliot.pahl () orcon ! net ! nz>
Date:       2005-09-21 13:33:05

Hi,

After reading Tom's blog today and seeing the KDE 3.5 Beta release
announcement a number of things struck me.

'We first of all have a "release promotion dude" who does a similar job to the
"release dude" - he/she coordinates things.'
I saw the announcement through RSS before it had been added to the #kde
channel topic.

Nothing on the Info or Announcement pages talks about whats in the actual
release.  To my mind the most on-topic piece of info was the warning about Qt
3.3.5.  There was info on 'Supporting KDE', 'KDE Sponsorship', 'About KDE'
and 'Press Contacts'.  Isn't this a little skewed?  This information may be
important but in an announcement that is the first pull aimed at more
mainstream users (Alpha being aimed at developers/EARLY adopters), I think we
should be saying something about 3.5B-1.

==== Quote ====
We should aim to get these out to the widest audience possible. We also want
to give different levels of detail to different people:

    * The three messages for the press (and users)
    * "What's new" for users (and the press)
    * The full changelog for power users and developers
=== End Quote ===
I don't think that at least part of this is too much to ask for a Beta
release.

Cheers,

Elliot Pahl