List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Press release needed - first full attempt
From:       Tom Chance <tom () acrewoods ! net>
Date:       2005-06-27 15:33:12

Ahoy,

Here goes a first attempt, taking into account everything that Thiago has
said, including that cool quote :)

Please, please, somebody give it a good headline and byline... I'm hopeless at
good ones!

---
KDE GETS 24 FUNDED PROJECTS FROM GOOGLE'S SUMMER OF CODE
Students to use $120,000 to push the free desktop environment forward

The KDE Project and Google announce the 24 KDE projects selected for the
"Summer of Code" project. The lucky students and KDE's administrative
organisation will receive a total of $120,000 if they can complete their
projects in the allotted two months.

The accepted projects span accessibility work, improvements to the office and
personal information management suites, and even <something about the
"Google-like tecs" - what does that mean?> Much anticipated projects include
one addressing VoIP in KDE, and a unified document viewer to handle multiple
formats with a plugin architecture for third party vendor extensions.

Twenty year old Piotr Szymanski, developer of this viewer, said: "I am really
happy about developing this bounty. I worked on the KDE Polish translation
team for a couple of years, and now, whilst studying computer science, I can
get paid to create a much-needed free software application. I'm a bit of a
mix of a programmer, mathematician, artist and a philosopher, a kind of
renaissance guy."

Eva Brucherseifer of the KDE e.V. board added: "The selection process was very
difficult due to so many good applications.  This is a great opportunity for
students to join the KDE community and to spend the summer on something that
will stay."

<FULL LIST OF PROJECTS>

<NOTES FOR EDITORS>
---

Regards,
Tom

--
I'm aware that e-mails to me may be blocked by my host
because they are mistaken as spam. If this happens,