List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] regional KDE groups
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-06-26 19:41:52

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>> We basically have now a website and a mailing list. We also try to
>> make ourselves visible in conferences we go to -- the most recent one
>> being FISL, with quite a lot of visibility.
>
>this is great news...

Quite frankly, I'm not sure there is much more that a regional project can
do.

I can think of the following tasks:
- translate the KDE website and news (dot, digest, etc.)
- add regional news
- promote gatherings, participate in conferences
- coordinate with the l10n team, when the team and the project aren't one
and the same
- recruit new developers, translators, testers, etc.
- advocate KDE and FOSS in general among the government and industries
- set up and host aKademy :-)

The last two being, of course, a lot more difficult than the former ones.

>what has prompted me to ask about this, btw, is that a KDE New Zealand
> is being put together and the person working on that (can you guess
> who? ;)

Who do you think encouraged her to get the webspace in our servers? :-)

>> As for #3, I don't know. We're still in our infancy here. Maybe some
>> of the more mature groups can help.
>
>yes, that's what i'm hoping for ... those who are doing these things
> right now could provide a lot of valuable insight for others. i'm
> willing to document it all, but first i need to do the research and
> here seemed like a good place to start. =)

Those groups are in Europe. I can think of the UK and NL groups that
should probably be of help. Maybe TR as well, since I hear they've
started quite big already.

How are you doing in CA?

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

1. On frumscafte, hwonne time_t wæs náht, se scieppend þone circolwyrde
wundorcræftlíge cennede and seo eorðe wæs idel and hit wæs gód.