List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Press Announcement for KDE 3.4
From:       Tom Chance <lists () tomchance ! org ! uk>
Date:       2005-02-04 10:58:09

Hi Achim, everyone else,

The PR is shaping up nicely. Might I suggest a change to the highlighted
features list? Something that Aaron did with the 3.2 PR, and I did with the
3.3 PR, was to divide it up a bit into sections. It makes it more readable,
interesting and useful for people who just want to know, for example, what
new applications there are. So, taking this from Joshua Keel's draft:

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-promo&m=110733698518466&w=2

Highlights At A Glance

New applications
* KDE Text-to-Speech System brings the desktop to the visually impaired
* Akregator allows you to read news from your favourite RSS-enabled
  websites in one application

Networking improvements
* Kontact now supports Exchange 2000, OpenGroupware, Kolab 1 and 2,
  SLOX, Groupwise and eGroupware
* Kopete now supports Novell Groupwise and Lotus Sametime and
  integrates with Kontact
* NetMeeting-Plug-In allows one to start a chat from any application
  ** FIXME ** even I being a KDE user/contributor am unsure what this
              means
* KMail now supports KWallet for secure password management
* Better synchronization between two PCs
  **FIXME** can we not have some more detail on this?

Many small desktop enhancements
* KPDF now supports PDF 1.5, password protected PDFs and the extraction
  of pictures and text from PDF files
* Support for album covers in JuK
* Completely redesigned and more flexible trash system
* Password dialog gives feedback on the relative strength of new
  passwords.
* Kicker has an improved look and feel
* KHTML plugins are configurable, and the CPU usage of Netscape-style plugins
   can be controlled
* Important additions to KMouth ** FIXME ** what features?
* Drag and drop of files and contacts  ** FIXME ** not sure what you're
                                                 trying to say here
* $bugsfixed have been fixed
* $ffwishes wishes have been implemented

Regards,
Tom